Sunday, August 24, 2008

Essentially it is Sour

“It is essential to speak English and speak it well,”
said the brunette sitting across the café holding a beautiful berry tart.

"This is America honey. And we speak English, not American or American-ish.
That seems to be what you speak. It is as if English curdled and turned sour.”

A young Chinese man turned from a neighboring table to get a glance
at the lecture to see the audience being an empty chair and lonely coffee cup.

“I guess it is a disagreeable sign,” he thought. "It does read: please take precaution, cuidado piso mojado,يمكنك ان تدخل في."

He looked at the gray haired woman as colorful crumbs fell from her mouth, shrugged, and resumed his catnap after turning up the volume on his iPod.


POEFUSION Prompt: essential, sour, absent disagreeable, catnap

4 comments:

poefusion said...

It's a bit sad to see how Americans have stopped using proper language. I'm even guilty of using improper wording and slang most times. And, I don't think texting helps the next generation speak any clearer. But, as you pointed out we are Americans. Nice job. Have a nice day.

Fireblossom said...

I love any poem which includes a "beautiful berry tart"!

As for one language vs another, anyone who can speak a language I can't speak has my respect.

Anonymous said...

english, it is a state of mind beyond reasonable verbs and pronouns...

John Tanner said...

I read this to my 85 year old mother who speaks Spanish fluently, she laughed..and I'm not quite sure why....
if you have two minutes or less you might want to check out my new site
http://twominutestory.wordpress.com/

I enjoy reading your poetry...